Monday, May 29, 2006

Start Making Sense...


Indulge me while I get a little nostalgic with these video clips. Despite the fact that Loverboy was my first real concert (hey, it was all too new...and the lasers were cool), I quickly turned myself in a preferred direction with my second big show, a Talking Heads performance in Oxford, Ohio (mid 80's). Here is clip from the Talking Heads concert movie, Stop Making Sense. If you ever have the chance to see David Byrne perform live, he is a great showman...you can tell he loves what he does. Psycho Killer is one of those songs where the phrase "less is more" holds true. Definitely true visionaries ahead of their time! For major TH fans, Rhino Records has released a CD compilation, called Brick, which is includes all 8 studio releases and a bunch of other goodies. Rhino has mastered the art of CD compilations...scan their catalog sometime.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was at that show! What a lesson for high school junior. Somehow, through the haze of alcohol and my belief I was going to lose my virginity that night, I learned that live music could be more than a band re-creating their greatest hits note for note. In a sense, I did lose my virginity that night.

The film, directed by Jonathan Demme, is spectacular (and no bloody, horrid death scenes!) Why won't they release a DVD?

11:21 PM  
Blogger Ike said...

We all did. ...and that movie is available on DVD....check Amazon!

11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dammit! Somebody tell Netflix! Of course, that is a DVD that should be owned.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Lukiernt said...

Donna and I saw David Byrne last year in Philadelphia. He remains a great showman. He masterfully combines musical creativity and extremely dry wit. All the performers wore gas station attendant uniforms with their names emboidered on the chest patch. That made me laugh.

His opening act is worth a listen. Her name was Juana Molina. Along with here bearlike sidekick, she produced some great minimalist synthesizer music.

11:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ike...that was quite a time, cruising down to Oxford in Mike's big blue mobile. Great stuff. And I swear one of those backup singers was soaking her knickers in my general direction. I SWEAR!

Oh...and Mike...due to the combination of alcohol and expectations, you DID lose your virginity that night...but I guess you didn't mean to be on the receiving end...sorry for not mentioning it earlier...and then doing so in a public forum when I finally do own up...but you were great.

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for being gentle, Chris. I always knew that Schaefer Light led to great things.

11:30 PM  
Blogger Ike said...

Don't kid yourself, Gamms. The backup singers were all over me like David Byrne's suit!!

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home